Just For Kids
At Farmers & Merchants Bank, we have an account and good information for people of all ages.
Treehouse Savings Club - Just For Kids!
If you get money sometimes as a gift, or do chores to earn money, why not save for something special and keep your money safe in the bank? We have a special account just for you….
Kids learn to save and handle their money by opening their very own bank account. These skills are an important element of the economic “Standards of Learning” curriculum in our schools.
Any school age child is eligible to open this account, and there are no minimum balance requirements or maintenance fees. We invite you to bring small deposits to the bank as often as you like.
What Do You Receive?
- A piggy bank to encourage saving at home
- An old-fashioned passbook to keep records of their account
- Fun prizes for every 5 deposits made
- Newsletters and activity sheets to develop their interest; statements annually in May.
- A premium interest rate of 1.25% APY* (1.24% rate) on the first $1,000 deposited (The account earns the bank’s standard savings interest rate of.15 [.15% APY] on balances over $1,000 – see our rate sheet for details; after age 18 this account will convert to a Premium Savings Account. Tree House Savings 1.24% rate as of 9/23/13)
- The opportunity to save for something special and learn how to handle money
- Access to their money at any time since you are the owner of the account (a parent or other adult will be joint on the account)
To open this account at any of our bank branches, parents will need to bring your child along with their ID (birth certificate, social security card, or photo ID) so both you and they can sign the signature card. The opening deposit needs to be at least $5.
Note: Limit one account per child.
See our latest Treehouse Savings Club newsletter (this is a .PDF file and will require Adobe Acrobat Reader to open)
Learn more about bank accounts
Kids Calculator – use this to plan your savings!
Here are some other websites you might want to visit to find information, games, and fun.
ALWAYS check with your parents before visiting any website!
Links for kids
- Yahoo! Kids
- National Geographic for Kids
- Kids. Gov - Find links to government and other kids' sites -- grouped by age and subject. Explore, learn, and have fun!
- Kids Health - The largest and most visited site on the Web providing doctor-approved health information about children from before birth through adolescence. Created by The Nemours Foundation's Center for Children's Health Media
- PBS for Kids – from the Public Broadcasting Service, a fun learning environment for children
- NASA Kid’s Club – games and fun information about our space program
- Kids.Com - KidsCom has kids games, chat rooms for kids, a virtual world, virtual pets and other child activities. Our kids' games focus on fun, learning and Internet safety.
- Kids Sites.Com - KidSites.com lists only the best kids sites we find on the net. Each site is approved by our staff before being included in our listings.
- Teach Children To Save - financial education for kids from American Banker's Association
- Learning Center and Money Museum – from the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank
About Children's Online Privacy